Scaling And Root Planning
Follow these steps to speed up healing after you have had the root planning and scaling treatment.
- For the first few hours after surgery, you should avoid eating any food.
- You should eat soft foods for the first 2 days. Continue this until you feel comfortable chewing. Only chew on the side that is not in the surgical area.
- You should avoid biting your cheeks or tongue if you feel a little numb when eating comfortably.
- Keep your gums healthy by avoiding spicy or hot foods, alcohol, and other substances until they return to normal.
- Avoid smoking for 72 hours following surgery. Otherwise, healing will slow down.
- If we gave you anesthetic, it is important to take pain medication to ease any discomfort or pain. There will be some discomfort for several days following the surgery.
- After six hours of surgery, apply an ice pack every 20 minutes.
- Reduce swelling and discomfort within the first 24 hours by gently rinsing your mouth with warm salt solution three times daily. Combine one teaspoon salt with a glass warm water.
- The surgical area should be brushed lightly the first night. To soften the bristles, it is better to rinse the toothbrush with warm water.
- Next day floss gently and then gradually return to home care for the following week. For a few days, slight bleeding may occur while flossing or brushing the area.
- Normally, float and brush unaffected areas
- It is a good idea to brush with desensitizing toothpaste. Follow the directions for any mouth rinse we recommend.
- Avoid using mouthwashes that contain alcohol
- Call us at our Clininc if the pain and swelling persists for more than 3-4 days.
- For any questions, please feel free to contact us